Sunday, February 14, 2016

A boarding school memory.

It's funny what can trigger a memory!  I had bought a pink radish, not regularly available here, to make either a salad or 'mooli paratha'. As I was preparing it, I ate a small piece and it suddenly brought back memories of a radish field raid we did while I was in boarding school in Ooty.  There were 4 of us as I remember.  I remember only the girl who first made the plan.  I don't remember who the other two girls were.  But the taste and smell of the radish came back sharply, when I bit into my piece of radish.
 I remember standing out in the dark, outside the field and barely washing the radish and eating it with salt. I can't remember whether we were in our pyjamas or had changed into our uniforms, or what time of the evening/night it was.  All I can remember is standing outside the field, which had a hedge all around, and the taste of the radish.
Somehow, now, when I look back, I can't really imagine why, at age 8 or 9, one would want to raid a radish field, except for the naughtiness value :-), after all radishes aren't exactly the most exciting food for a kid that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message if you feel the post appeals to you.