Sunday, March 24, 2019

1965

Today my husband and I were talking about the Vietnam war as he has been watching a Netflix series on the Vietnam war.  We talked about those years.  That awoke memories of 1965 when there was a war with Pakistan. 
I was in Calcutta then, in the 10th standard, which, at that time, meant one more year of school.  What I remember clearly was that when the war started, all of us 9th and 10th standard students were sent to paste brown paper on all the glass windows and ventilator shutters.  As we did not have a hostel in school, it was not for black out, but apparently to prevent the glass shattering inwards, if a bomb was dropped.  We of course thought it was great that we got away from classes for quite a few days.
I also remember the air raid drills, sometimes during the day and sometimes at night. If we were in school, the bell would ring when the air raid siren went and we were all supposed to gather on the ground floor in a specific room.  If the siren went off at night, at home, all lights were to be put off and we were to gather in the centre of the house, on the ground floor.  As our flat was on the ground floor, we did not have to go out.  Now I think about it, I can't remember anyone telling us to turn off the piped in gas, used to cook and to heat the water boilers.
Anyway, one night there really was an air raid warning.  It must have been around 7.30 or 8 pm.  I guess we must have all put out the lights.  But what was worrying was that my father had not yet reached home.  His office was way over near Barrackpore, on the Barrackpore Trunk Road.   There were no cell phones then.  So we had no idea where he might be.  I think my mother rang the office and found he had left.  My mother, my sister and I sat in the centre room and waited for the all clear.  We heard planes overhead.  The all clear must have sounded after an hour or so.  My father arrived sometime after that.  He said he had been on the road when the siren sounded.  Apparently all the cars stopped, and all lights were switched off--headlights, streetlights, traffic lights, everything. 
Next morning we learnt that a bomb had been dropped in Barrackpore on the Air Force base there and there had been air fights.   There were more sorties in the East, near and around Calcutta. 
During the day, life went on as usual and we went to school.  I don't remember getting a holiday due to the war.  But then again my memory may be playing false.
What I do remember is that the duration of studies for engineering was cut short, as in, those in their last year of the engineering course had 6 months reduced from the course, so that many engineers would be ready to help the country if the war continued.  So my older brother, who was in his last year in IIT in Chennai, finished his course and came back home much earlier than expected and was around to help me with my studies. 
I just read up about it on Wikipedia and realised it was quite a big encounter.  But, I don't remember feeling worried about the war.  All I remember is wishing I could become a pilot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message if you feel the post appeals to you.